Pages

Thursday 9 January 2014

Rustic beetroot and carrot muffins

This time next week I will be exactly half way through my exams. I can't wait for the 24th of January, where everything just goes back to normal! I really do hate exam periods and not in the sense that you would expect. Fair enough that it leads to a lot more studying than usual for most of us, but to me, the exam period feels like a span of time whereby everyone around me just puts their lives on hold. I notice that most students study for 10-12 hours a day, perhaps even sleeping in the library, working away like robots: wake up, study, eat, sleep, repeat.

Oh dear, I feel like I'm on a rant but my point is that I feel that as humans nowadays, we tend to stress way too much about everything in our lives. As a student, if you were consistently attending lectures and doing any set work, then there should be little reason to stress and spend ridiculous hours studying prior to an exam? This great exposure to so many stressed individuals around me at the moment has made me question whether my relaxed attitude was something to be worried about? I then found this video which I think sums up stress and its horrible effect on our lives.
I really liked this video as it is short and sums up a few important points. Firstly, stress is a horrible thing! It increases your susceptibility to diseases such as cancer or heart attacks. Additionally, stress reduces your ability to take in information. When stressed, being around other people helps. Therefore, if you are stressed in any way, whether you think that the issue is greatly significant or not, it always, ALWAYS helps to speak to others or surround yourself by positive attitudes. Also, the importance of a balanced lifestyle cannot be emphasized enough. I wrote a post in July 2013 about the stress hormone cortisol and how some claim how it can be referred to as 'public health enemy number 1'.

Anyways, now on to the recipe. This was one that I completely made up. Baking is definitely one of my 'stress relievers'! When I first tried a muffin straight out of the oven, I immediately thought that it needed improving- I'm always so harsh about my own food. However, as I tried another muffin the next day, the flavours seemed to have developed, the initial overpowering beetroot earthiness had settled and I couldn't complain about anything! Because of the sheer amount of vegetable in this muffin, it makes for a very moist and slightly dense muffin. Do not expect a light and fluffy muffin, these muffins are very rustic and perfect as a filling snack or afternoon treat to have with some tea.

BEETROOT & CARROT MUFFINS
  • 40g coconut oil
  • 45g honey (or more according to your preferences)
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp vanilla extract (I also used a vanilla pod: optional)
  • 150 g grated carrot
  • 150 g grated beetroot
  • 0.5-1 tsp of cinnamon
  • 0.5 tsp baking powder
  • 0.5 tsp baking soda
  • 110 g whole wheat flour
  1. Mix together the oil, honey,vanilla and egg for a couple of minutes until well combined and slightly 'creamy'. Add in the grated vegetables and stir until combined.
  2. Gradually add in the flour, baking powder, baking soda and cinnamon, stirring until just combined. DO NOT overmix, as with any muffin, overmixing = tough muffins.
  3. Pour into muffins cases and bake at 180 degrees Celsius (preheated oven) for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.

Enjoy!
Xx

No comments :

Post a Comment