Pages

Saturday 4 January 2014

Exam procrastination: Healthy take on junk

The exam period always make me want to spend as much time as possible in the kitchen! That counts as good procrastination though, right? I end up with lots of yummy food to satisfy my revision munchies.

Yes, it is that time of the year again, exams start in about 10 days. This time last year, I would be stressing out, spending hours at the library and totally cutting out the gym and other activities from my life, I would basically be in a little 'revision' bubble! Not healthy. I am definitely way more composed this time round, I've realized that as with everything, balance is essential! :)


For the past couple of days, I have been craving some pizza which is unusual as I always tend to stay away from them. But when a craving hits, nothing will make me happy until it has been satisfied. Also, since I've been working out consistently over the past few weeks, I didn't want to waste it all on a few greasy slices of pizza. Thus, the challenge was to make a quick, wholesome, filling and tasty yet healthy pizza! I mention quick because although I have a great recipe for a cauliflower crust pizza, it does take quite a bit of time to prepare. Challenge accepted.
I chose to use couscous firstly because it is cheap and so readily available, even in Mauritius. Couscous is also a great source of lean protein, contains fewer calories than brown rice or quinoa and is a great source of fibre.

COUSCOUS PIZZA BASE
  • 100 g of cooked & cooled couscous 
  • About 25 g of whole wheat flour or oat flour
  • 1 egg white
  1. Mix the 3 together, adding a little flour if it doesn't come together. The dough will still be sticky.
  2. On a piece of greaseproof paper on a baking tray, spoon out the dough and flatten into a circle.
  3. Bake in a preheated oven at 200 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and flip with a spatula so that the other side can crisp up slightly.
  4. Top pizza with toppings of choice and bake for another 10 minutes or so. 

I used pesto, caramelised onions, sundried tomatoes and mushrooms which worked perfectly with the slightly nutty crust!


Enjoy, this went down so well with some homemade sweet potato wedges!
Xx


No comments :

Post a Comment