Pages

Friday 8 November 2013

Vegan millionaire's shortbread

Hello hello! Stressful times ahead, currently applying for graduate job schemes with a couple of companies here in the UK, the whole process of online questionnaires, tests, interviews and so on is so lengthy and time consuming but  understandable given the competitive nature of the graduate job market! Luckily I've got lots of other activities going on to keep me sane! We celebrated Bonfire night on Tuesday at Platt Field's park with a stunning firework show and a whole bunch of rides. Today is the Manchester Christmas light switch on with live performances by James Arthur and other guests as well as another firework show!
I'm currently laid in my bed, my muscles are ridiculously sore from this week's crazy workouts, today is definitely a well deserved rest day. What best to do on rest days then bake/cook?! :)

I found this great recipe on Instagram by 'Fitspo_eden' for healthy vegan caramel slices.

 

I altered the recipe as I went along according to the ingredients that I had in stock and according to when I was happy with the textures obtained. I also downsized the recipe to make 4-5 individual round 'slices'.

VEGAN MILLIONAIRE'S SHORTBREAD
Base
  • 15g oats
  • 35 g nuts (I used just walnuts but think that pecans would work best)
  • 2 dates
  • 20 g ground almond/ protein powder
  • 5 g coconut oil
  1. Blend/ Process everything except for the oil until you obtain a refined meal, add in the coconut oil and mix until it all comes together.
  2. Flatten in the mould you'll be using. (I place cling film in muffins moulds, using the cling film to pull the cakes out once set). Place in the fridge/freezer whilst you make the filling.
Filling
  • 15 dates soaked until soft, then squeeze excess water
  • 1 heaped tsp peanut butter
  • Pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp coconut oil
  • 1 tsp honey
  • 0.5 tsp vanilla essence
  • 2 tsp coconut milk (or other dairy/non-dairy milk according to your requirements)
  1.  Blend everything together until you obtain a smooth caramel tasting spread.
  2. Spread equally over the individual bases. Cool whilst you make the topping.
Topping
You could either top with melted dark chocolate, if you are not bothered about these being vegan or for the vegan option follow the instructions below which makes enough for 3 mini cakes:
  1. Mix together 1.5 tsp cacao powder, 3 tsp honey and 3 tsp coconut oil until it is well combined (Taste and add more cacao or honey if desired).
  2. Top the individual millionaire's shortbreads with the cocoa mix, leave to set in the fridge.
NOTE: These are quite gooey so definitely keep these in a fridge until ready to be consumed:)!

I also made some granola bars for my friends:) 

No comments :

Post a Comment